Before I discovered protein shakes a year ago, I thought they were mostly for this type of person (which, as you see in ‘about me’, is not me!):
I was wrong. Not only are they absolutely delicious, it’s a really easy way to get in extra fiber, fruit, calcium and protein for the day. Besides, my morning shake makes me feel like this:
There are a lot of protein powders in the world so picking one really depends on your budget, taste buds and nutritional focus. I use a gluten-free, vegan protein powder made by Arbonne. However, I know a lot of people like the whey powder from Isagenix (share your favorite protein powder in the comments section!). The basic types of protein powder are: milk, egg, whey, casein and soy. I chose my protein powder out of convenience. I was on a gluten-free kick at the time and have gluten-free friends who use the powder. I also find whey to be very heavy so whey powders don’t work well for me.
Will I look like Arnold does in his picture if I use a protein powder? No. The only way to build muscle is anaerobic exercise (i.e., lifting weights). Protein powders act as a supplement to build muscle faster, but they alone will not help you build muscle. WebMD has a lot of good information on the benefits of protein shakes and the different kinds of protein here.
This is my shake before the Magic Bullet does its magic:
Vanilla protein powder shake
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- Water (I usually make my liquid, including milk, equal to 1/2 of the shake so it is easily drinkable)
- Frozen berries (about 1/2 – 3/4 cup.. or whatever your belly desires)
What I include for added nutrients (optional)
- 1/2 cup Almond or regular milk (for additional calcium and to make it a little creamier)
- Spinach (you can’t taste it, but it adds calcium and antioxidants to the shake)
- Fiber powder (Most people get half of their daily required fiber grams so I HIGHLY recommend this. Between the powder and the fruit, this morning shake is 18g of fiber! I’ve only used the Arbonne powder but I’m sure any tasteless fiber powder would do the trick)
Blend & enjoy!
For convenience, I take it in a to-go cup so I can drink it on my way to work: